Friday, August 14, 2009

Quick update

So, a couple things. First and foremost, as we speak, outside my window and down about a block they're filming a Telugu movie (referring to the language, Telugu is the state language of Andhra Pradesh). There are about 7 coach buses stretched alongside the roads in either direction and there's tons of activity going on. The best part is that random, uninvolved people will dress up and come "strolling" down the street and trying to convince the guards to let them in. Some of the stuff people are wearing is ludicrous. I saw one guy wearing a button up shirt that was skin tight and only buttoned up half-way, who then proceeded to look up at me on the balcony of my house and give a smile (people don't smile here, it has a different connotation if you know what I mean). I also managed to pick out the actors walking to work. It's actually pretty surprising how different they looked among the people. They were wearing super high-end modern clothes with modern hair cuts, and one of the girls looked up our house while Becca and I were on the roof and saw us and stared and smiled, as if she was trying to get us to smile back. They also swaggered down the street instead of walking. It's been an interesting morning to say the least, very comical.

The other thing I wanted to mention was our trip to a superstore yesterday. The store reminded me a lot of Target, everything from food to clothes to stereos were there. Specifically what I wanted to tell you about was how when Becca and I walked into the stereo/movie/music section, one of the workers standing over by a stereo started turning on some really obscene American rap and then turned and stared at Becca and I to see if we were enjoying it. The stereotypes of Americans here are really really strong, and I think he thought he was doing us a favor by playing "our favorite music". As soon as we left the section, the music was turned off entirely, it wasn't even switched to a different genre.

Also, a side note. We wanted to make chocolate chip cookies from scratch yesterday (that's why we were there). They don't know the difference between baking powder/soda and more importantly do not ask for brown sugar here. Brown sugar is slang here for cocaine I guess, so when Becca and I were reading off our list of ingredients we were met with some intrigued looks to say the least. The cookie idea didn't work out, we had to end up buying a brownie mix.

That's all for now, just had to mention how bizarre my life is turning out.

No comments:

Post a Comment